Video on YouTube.
Here's a list of what we fixed:
- Avoid scrollbars at all costs on startup (made possible by some GTK+ sizing bug fixes)
- Make the default window bigger, while supporting small displays (800x600 displays should now be usable)
- Bigger icons to match the Shell's overview
- Better layout of search results
- Animated transitions between panels, overview and search results
There will most likely be more tweaks of the UI between now and the GNOME 3.6 release, which I'll make sure to let you know about.
PS: Before you ask, we cannot animate window size changes. Hopefully this will be possible in the future.
Update: Fixed a double-negative. Also note that there are some differences between my screenshots and reality, like the separators, as my system wasn't fully updated.